P-47  "JUG"
 
 
 

Unit History From Activation to Arrival in E.T.O.

 

The 412th Fighter Squadron, (373rd Fighter Group), was activated at Westover Field, Massachusetts on 15 August 1943 per paragraph 1 General Order #60, Headquarters First Fighter Command, Mitchel Field, New York, dated 12 June 1943.

Initial cadre was furnished for this squadron by the 326th Fighter Group, Westover Field, Massachusetts. The majority of subsequent "Filler Personnel" were also drawn from the 326th Fighter Group, Westover Field, Massachusetts.

Captain Donald W. McLeod, 0885156, assumed command of the squadron as of 23 August 1943.

The Commanding Officer and all section heads received a one month course at School of Applied Tactics, Orlando, Florida prior to activation.

On October 22, 1943 at 1800 the 412th Fighter Squadron left Westover Field, Massachusetts for temporary change of station to Army Airdrome, Norfolk, Virginia. The squadron arrived at Army Airdrome, Norfolk, Virginia 1930 23 October 1943, pursuant to paragraph 8, Special Order 289,  Westover Field, Massachusetts, 17 October 1943. Distance traveled by rail, 700 miles; by boat 30 miles.

OTU training was completed at  Army Airdrome, Norfolk, Virginia, and on 15 February 1944 the 412th Fighter Squadron left Army Airdrome, Norfolk, Virginia. The squadron arrived at Army Air Base, Richmond, Virginia 1300 15 February 1944 for temporary change of station pursuant to paragraph 2, Special Order 42, Headquarters Army Air Base, Richmond, dated 13 February 1944. Distance traveled by motor truck convoy, 100 miles.

At Richmond, Virginia, Major Donald W. McLeod, Commanding Officer of the 412th Fighter Squadron was relieved and assigned to 327th Fighter Group, Army Air Base, Richmond, Virginia (IFC PRP).

Upon transfer of Major McLeod, Major Michael J. Ingelido, 0426393, assumed command of the 412th Fighter Squadron. Major Ingelido was Operations Officer of the 412th Fighter Squadron before assuming command. Captain Edward P. Fitzgerald, 0437986, became Operations Officer of the 412th Fighter Squadron.

The 412th Fighter Squadron left Richmond, Virginia 1500, 14 March 1944 and arrived at Camp Shanks, New York at 0745, 15 March 1944. Distance traveled by rail, 450 miles.

March 1944 the 412th Fighter Squadron left Camp Shanks, New York at 2130 and boarded New York 368 at 2230 EWT on British liner "Duchess of Bedford". Distance traveled about 35 miles.

At 0610 EWT 23 March 1944 the Duchess of Bedford left Port carrying the 412th Fighter Squadron bound for overseas duty. The 412th Fighter Squadron arrived at Greenock, Scotland at 1500 hours, 3 April 1944 aboard the Duchess of Bedford.

 

 
 
Richard H. Nash,
Captain, Air Corps,
Squadron Historian.

Declassified DOD Dir 5200.9
 
 
 
 
Newsletters
Photo Album
The "Jug"
Reunions
Orphanage Connection
Other Links of Interest
Acknowledgements

412th Insignia

last update: 10 Nov 04

 
 
 
 
 

 

 
     
 

412th Squadron patch image courtesy of Bruce Lowell and Bob Colangelo.